Nick Name: Eagles
Year formed: 1903
Jumper Front: Yellow with blue V and shoulder trim
Jumper Back: Yellow with blue number
Jumper Clash: Royal blue with 2 yellow stripes at top
Socks: Royal Blue
Shorts: Royal blue (home) or white (away
At the turn of the century, Klemzig was known as Kobandilla, but by 1909 the name had been changed and the Klemzig Football Club was formed. It played for three seasons, first in blue & white, then red white and blue, its last year being spent in the Adelaide & Suburban Association.
In 1916 in the middle of World War I, there was considerable talk about the Government changing the names of towns which had German associations.
Then in 1917 it was Gazetted that all towns in South Australia with German names would be changed on January 10th, 1918, to suitable Australian names.
Subsequently, Klemzig was changed to Gaza in recognition of the servicemen who had been interred at the Gaza War Cemetery.
Units of the Australian Light Horse fought many battles in the Gaza area before eventually winning the day. Gaza in Palestine is one of the oldest cities in the world.
The Gaza Football Club was founded in 1903, then on December 12th, 1935, the name of the suburb reverted to Klemzig, but after Word War II the members of the Gaza football and cricket clubs voted unanimously at an A.G.M. to retain the name Gaza in perpetuity.
Gaza is one of the four remaining inaugural members of the original North Adelaide District Association (the others being Kilburn, Mitcham and Walkerville).
It won its first premiership in 1926 when players changed in a tin shed behind the O.G. Hotel.
It was jubilee premier of A2 in 1951 and premiers again in 1960. After the Club joined the SAAFL in 1963, it spent 24 years in A2 until 1989 without playing in a grand final.
However, this feat it eventually achieved in 1990 and so won promotion to A1 for the first time, then celebrated the Division 1 premiership in 2003, its centenary year.
A.F.L. footballer Darren Jarman won an under-16 medal playing for the Club in 1983. His brother Andrew also played in the juniors before rising to the A.F.L. then returned in 2000 to play and coach the club, and his father Dennis was the A2 medallist with the Club in 1971. The record holder for games played is Tony Heummer with 414 games.